Friday, February 24, 2012

Enjoying the journey

I read this message this morning. It's such a good reminder of what is important in life. The following are different parts of the message I took straight from the talk.

"This is our one and only chance at mortal life—here and now. The longer we live, the greater is our realization that it is brief. Opportunities come, and then they are gone. I believe that among the greatest lessons we are to learn in this short sojourn upon the earth are lessons that help us distinguish between what is important and what is not. I plead with you not to let those most important things pass you by as you plan for that illusive and nonexistent future when you will have time to do all that you want to do. Instead, find joy in the journey—now."

Many years ago, Arthur Gordon wrote in a national magazine, and I quote:

“When I was around thirteen and my brother ten, Father had promised to take us to the circus. But at lunchtime there was a phone call; some urgent business required his attention downtown. We braced ourselves for disappointment. Then we heard him say [into the phone], ‘No, I won’t be down. It’ll have to wait.’

“When he came back to the table, Mother smiled. ‘The circus keeps coming back, you know,’ [she said.]

“‘I know,’ said Father. ‘But childhood doesn’t.’”


Stresses in our lives come regardless of our circumstances. We must deal with them the best we can. But we should not let them get in the way of what is most important—and what is most important almost always involves the people around us. Often we assume that they must know how much we love them. But we should never assume; we should let them know. Wrote William Shakespeare, “They do not love that do not show their love.” 3We will never regret the kind words spoken or the affection shown. Rather, our regrets will come if such things are omitted from our relationships with those who mean the most to us.

Send that note to the friend you’ve been neglecting; give your child a hug; give your parents a hug; say “I love you” more; always express your thanks. Never let a problem to be solved become more important than a person to be loved. Friends move away, children grow up, loved ones pass on. It’s so easy to take others for granted, until that day when they’re gone from our lives and we are left with feelings of “what if” and “if only.” Said author Harriet Beecher Stowe, “The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone.”

In the 1960s, during the Vietnam War, Church member Jay Hess, an airman, was shot down over North Vietnam. For two years hisfamily had no idea whether he was dead or alive. His captors in Hanoi eventually allowed him to write home but limited his message to less than 25 words. What would you and I say to our families if we were in the same situation—not having seen them for over two years and not knowing if we would ever see them again? Wanting to provide something his family could recognize as having come from him and also wanting to give them valuable counsel, Brother Hess wrote—and I quote: “These things are important: temple marriage, mission, college. Press on, set goals, write history, take pictures twice a year.”

The ancient Roman philosopher Horace admonished, “Whatever hour God has blessed you with, take it with grateful hand, nor postpone your joys from year to year, so that in whatever place you have been, you may say that you have lived happily.”


by President Thomas S. Monson, "Finding Joy in the Journey"You can read his full message here.

End of Quotes

So, I decided I wanted to make the kids blankets for Valentine's Day. I wanted them to have something special that they could have forever and say that their mom "made" it for them:). I think it makes it that much more special to them. I was pretty excited to give the blankets to the kids. They are the soft Minki stuff on both sides. The material is pretty expensive, and with it being on both sides, I needed a total of 10 pieces of fabric. Ben Franklin had a lot more of a variety than Hobby Lobby, so I bought most of it there. Ben Franklin took competitors 40% coupons. You could only use one coupon per day per family for up to 2 yards. The material was like $17.99 a yard and I was not about to pay that:). I guess I must have gone in there eight times to buy separate pieces of fabric. It started to feel like ground hog day:). I was able to buy two at a time at hobby lobby so that was nice. Anyway, like I said on my last post, they were very imperfectly done, but the kids really liked them. Hopefully a lot of it is the thought that counts right? I hope so. I really wanted it to be special. I wrote them each a nice card to go with them.

Dear Kids:

I hope you love your blankets. They were made with love. Always remember how much I love you.

Mom.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

p.s. Don't be jealous of my new vintagey camera bag I got from Adam for Valentine's Day :). (I may have picked it out and ordered it myself, along with a book on film making:)Thanks honey!

2 comments:

  1. You did it! Way cute blankets. I bet the kids are loving them! That is one of my favorite talks.Thanks for reminding me about it. I am looking forward to reading it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this Heather! The timing of reading this talk couldn't have been more perfect for me. You are very talented with your words, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive